When you have complete control...

So, I thought it was about time that I took my car and did some decent shots. I went over to a bank parking lot on Sunday and made a day of it, shooting about 200 shots. I put this picture here as an example of a shot that came out well (I hope you can agree with that assessment) but still has some significant issues that could definitely be improved.

First, what I did well. The car is shot at an angle, from a low point of view, with the wheel turned. All these touches give the vehicle a novel and deep view, adding a 3D quality to the image that front or side views can't. I placed the car off center. I metered to get good exposure on the side of the car. I shot at a low f/stop to isolate my subject.

Here's what could be improved. Look at the background. There is a lamppost in the middle of the car. There's a trash dumpster to the side. The building is in only 3/4 of the shot. It would've been better to have all building or none.

The sunlight angle is casting a big shadow from the rear view mirror. It would've been better to reposition the car.

So you can see that when you have complete control over your subject, there are a lot of considerations that come into play when crafting your shot. And for a little humor on the subject of watching out for your backgrounds, take a look at this photo.

No comments: